Learning in health and wellbeing ensures that children and young people develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes which they need for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future.
Learning through health and wellbeing promotes confidence, independent thinking and positive attitudes and dispositions.
Glashieburn, works with partners and takes a holistic approach to promoting health and wellbeing. We take account of the stage of growth, development and maturity of each individual, and our unique social and community context.
Glashieburn aim to create a learning environment to support pupils to:
- develop their self-awareness, self-worth and respect for others
- meet challenges, manage change and build relationships
- experience personal achievement and build their resilience and confidence
- understand and develop their physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing and social skills
- understand how what they eat, how active they are and how decisions they make about their behaviour and relationships affect their physical and mental wellbeing
- participate in a wide range of activities which promote a healthy lifestyle
- understand that adults at Glashieburn have a responsibility to look after them, listen to their concerns and involve others where necessary
- learn about where to find help and resources to inform choices
- assess and manage risk and understand the impact of risk-taking behaviour
- reflect on their strengths and skills to help me make informed choices when planning their next steps
- acknowledge diversity and understand that it is everyone’s responsibility to challenge discrimination.
- Glashieburn does this through 2 hours of Physical Education per week; planned high quality learning and teaching in HWB themes; termly Spotlight Weeks; Class Charters and incentives setting expectations and consequences; Loose Parts play; weekly Reflection Time to set targets and inform next steps; Nurture groups; links with our School Nurse and Outside Agencies and the promotion of our school motto JUST BE YOU.