P2/3M’s Learning Leaflet
Maths & Numeracy
This term P2/3M will be covering the following topics in maths;
- Multiplication – P2 will be continuing to learn their 2, 5 and 10 times tables and doubles within 20. P3 will be learning their 3 and 4 times tables and will be beginning to use these to build others, e.g. the 6 and 8. All groups will be using arrays to support them in developing their understanding.
- Division – P2 will be learning to share and group objects equally. They will also be learning to half even numbers to 10. P3 will be using concrete materials and arrays to share in 2’s, 4’s, 5’s and 10’s and develop their understanding of remainders. They will be beginning to divide mentally using their knowledge of their times tables.
- Fractions – We will be exploring simple fractions by taking part in practical activities. P2 will be developing their understanding of ½’s and P3 will be looking at ½’s and ¼’s.
- Time – All pupils will be further developing skills in telling the time using analogue and digital clocks. P2 will be learning to recognise o’clock and half past and begin to find time durations in whole hours. P3 will be looking more closely at quarter to and quarter past and finding durations in whole and half hours. We will all be looking at the days of the week, months of the year and seasons using calendars.
Primary 2/3 are continuing to read a variety of fiction and non-fiction books this term, using their knowledge of phonics and common words to support them. They will be further developing their ‘word attack’ skills to help decode more challenging vocabulary and find meaning when reading. They will also be using their knowledge of the features in non-fiction texts to locate and retrieve information, beginning to skim and scan.
This term P2/3 are further developing their skills in imaginative and functional writing. They will be learning to create their own short stories, non-chronological reports and persuasive texts. Many of these will relate to our class topic.
Listening and Talking
This term the children will be preparing and presenting an assembly. They will be learning to talk audibly and clearly, whilst building their confidence when speaking to an audience (including you!). Our class assembly will be presented to you on Friday the 19th of May.
Health and Well-Being
In PE 2/3M will be putting their skills to the test in team games this term. We will be hoping to head outdoors as the weather improves, so please ensure appropriate footwear is provided.
Our topic this term is Our Local Area and Community. P2/3 will be exploring the Bridge of Don, heading out and about to develop their mental map and sense of place in the world. They will be;
- Learning to create and use maps of the area
- Thinking about what makes a community
- Learning about why it is important to look after the community and environment that we live in
- Discussing the roles of different people in our community
- Visiting places within the local area and learning about what happens there
- Taking on the role of ‘local community tour guide’ when sharing their learning with others.
Other useful information
- PE kits will be required on a Tuesday and a Wednesday.
- Library books will be changed on a Thursday.
- Homework continue is the same format as last term. Termly common words, learn-its and a spelling menu can be found in your child’s homework folder. Maths topics are outlined above.
- New reading books will be issued on a Monday or a Wednesday depending on the text.
If you have any questions, as always, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Thank you, Miss Milne