Primary 1 Reflection leaflet

Maths

In maths this term the children will be learning how to use concrete resources to add and subtract numbers to 10 and beyond. When they are confident with the concept of addition and subtraction they will have the opportunity to use a number line to record addition and subtraction problems independently. They should become comfortable with the mathematical vocabulary such as: add, subtract, plus, minus and equals.

“I have been good at counting to 100.” (Brooke)

“I have been working at taking away numbers.” (Megan)

“I have been learning how to add and take away with my lego bricks.” (Mason)

“We have been learning how to count to 20 in 2s.” (Asal)

“We have been learning to add and take away using a numberline.” (Bethany)

Literacy

This term Primary 1 will continue to work on their phonetic awareness by learning two new sounds each week. Our sounds this term are the remaining letters of the alphabet. The children will develop their understanding of how to read trickier vocabulary by segmenting and blending any unfamiliar words. The children should begin to become confident with saying their sounds, finding them in words and hearing them when read aloud. The children will continue to learn three new common words each week to help build up their recall of sight vocabulary.

Primary 1 are already becoming great readers! This term they will be developing their ability to read with more fluency, increasing their pace and pitch. We will be working on our comprehension skills by retelling our books, discussing the characters and breaking the story into beginning, middle and end. The children will be challenged to think of their own questions that relate to their book for their peers to answer. Primary 1 will also begin to evidence their understanding by completing simple comprehension activities through sequencing, sorting and pictorial representation.

“I know all of the sounds we learned.” (Ava)

“I am really good at spelling my common words.” (Asal)

“I know how to spell ‘got’ now.” (Catherine)

“I can read books all by myself at night now.” (Brooke)

“I can write sentences now.” (Myah)

Health and Wellbeing

P1’s PE days are Wednesday and a Friday. Please remember that your child should bring a full PE kit (white t-shirt, black/navy shorts) on these days. During term 2 the children will be developing their ability to perform a range of gymnastic skills such as balancing, rolling and sliding.

“I liked acting out ‘The Smartest Giant in Town’.” (Dean)

“We have learned how to be safe on the road because there is lots of traffic.” (Aiden S)

**Well done to all the boys and girls for all their hard work and super performance at our school nativity. We would like to wish you all a very happy Christmas and we look forward to seeing you again in the New Year.**

Miss Conroy and Miss Boyle