P3M Reflection Leaflet

Glashieburn School

Primary 3 Reflection

Information for Parents

Term 2

Numeracy

Primary three will continue to focus on Addition this term as well as building on their learning of Subtraction. We will be learning to add and subtract horizontally and vertically within 100 and learning strategies to carry over tens and bridge across place.

Primary 3 will also be learning about shape, position and movement through a variety of activities this term. They will be exploring 2D and 3D shapes and learning about their properties. The class will also be investigating patterns and relationships and they will be introduced to pattern using shape, a variety of materials and number.

The children will be continuing to learn and consolidate the 2, 5 and 10 times table. Through daily CLIC sessions they will be developing a variety of mental math strategies.

• I have enjoyed doing the beat that and my times tables this term! Harry
  • I have enjoyed learning how to subtract a 2 digit number from a 2 digit number. Matthew
  • I liked learning about the square based pyramid because I like how I now know its full name. Liam
  • I liked learning about 3D shapes because I learned all the names of each one. Liv
  • I learned that 2D shapes are flat and 3D shapes are not. Sophie,
  • I liked learning about the properties of the 3D shapes and investigating them. Aaron.

Literacy

Writing/ Grammar: This term we will build on our learning of adjectives, verbs and nouns in our grammar lessons. We will also be focusing on punctuation and how to use a range of marks ag appropriately within our writing. The children will be writing for a variety of purposes including poetry, functional and imaginative.

Talking and Listening: We will continue to develop our talking and listening skills through listening to fables and responding to philosophy stimulus. We have also been enjoying listening and engaging with Newsround and will continue to discuss topical world issues within the classroom this term.

Reading: A focus within reading this term will be developing the children’s prediction skills (using context clues such as title, illustrations and the blurb to make predictions about a story). We will also be investigating the main aspects of a text including character, setting, main events and feelings. We will also be looking at an author’s word choice and be working to create alternatives to simple words.

• I enjoyed going outside and thinking of all the different sounds and smells to help me write my senses poem about an autumn day. Rahma.
  • I like writing my own stories. Adam
  • I enjoyed making a recipe for friendship soup. It was fun! Sophie
  • I enjoyed writing recipes for rice crispy cakes – Beth
  • I enjoyed predicting what might happen next in my reading book. Liam.
  • I enjoyed using the title, blurb, illustrations and pictures to guess what might happen next. Mya

Health and Wellbeing

Primary 3 will be focusing on balance, rhythm and control through the context of skipping. We will be learning a range of different skipping techniques through group and partner activities.

As part of our health topic the children will be learning about fire and firework safety. They will also be learning about Road safety in their health lessons with Miss Cunningham.

• I have enjoyed playing the wonky clock concentration game in a group.
  • I enjoyed practicing my hand eye coordination in our lessons on focus and concentration.
  • I enjoyed skipping because I learned how to do lots of different kind of skips.

IDL

Our class IDL context this term will focus on ‘The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark’ novel written by Jill Tomlinson. We will be covering a range of experiences and outcomes related to this topic.

Some of the areas that Primary 3 will be learning about this term include:

• Nocturnal creatures
  • Day and Night
  • Our Senses
  • A range of literacy activities related to the novel.
  • We will also be linking our learning of shape to make 2D and 3D owls.

I enjoyed answering questions about the different chapters in the story – Adam.

I enjoyed investigating which materials were reflective – Paige.

I liked using Adobe Spark to retell the story in my own words.

I enjoyed doing the different owl art