Reflective comments about term 2

P5/6K Term 2 Learning Leaflet

IDL
As you may have seen from our recent blog post, P5/6 have been enjoying a very successful start to their Enterprise topic this term.  In partnership with local company GE Oil and Gas, we are aiming to build a relationship with a school in Takoradi, Ghana, raise money for that school and expand our knowledge of African culture.

In exchange for our enterprising efforts, the boys and girls in P5/6 are enhancing their inter-personal skills and developing various employability skills.  By undertaking this project P5/6 are working creatively and co-operatively to become: effective contributors, responsible citizens, confident individuals and successful learners.

I’m happy that we have raised money to make other people’s lives better (Erica)

I’ve got better at talking about my ideas (Charlotte)

I know a lot more about Africa and the different cultures there (Imogen)

I know a lot more about how to communicate well with my team (Simon)

I know what profit means and I can use my numeracy skills to work it out (Imogen)

I loved making all the things that we sold, especially the bags of reindeer dust (Erica)

I have learned how to create an advertisement and that it needs to be persuasive (Chloe)

I loved learning the African songs and performing them (Imogen)

I know some words from the Swahili and Arabic language (Charlotte)

Literacy
This term, P5/6 we will be reading and analysing fiction based books in their groups. They will develop their ability to read with fluency and expression  and to answer evaluative and literal questions.  p5/6 will also be working with a variety of non fiction books related to entrepreneurship  and Africa for research purposes.

Writing this term will mainly be functional in nature, relating to our Enterprise topic (namely, persuasive and instructional writing).

Each week we will continue to learn a new set of spelling words, have a grammar focus and practice handwriting.

I’ve enjoyed my reading book because it is set in a time before I was born (Erica)

I’ve  learned how to read new words from my challenging reading book (Charlotte)

I’ve enjoyed the comprehension about how the whole world celebrates Christmas (Imogen)

Numeracy

All will be revising knowledge of the language associated with addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in order to use this knowledge to  confidently approach and solve word based problems.  Additionally, all will be learning to become familiar with the language of likelihood and will be taking part in investigations relating to chance.  We will then move on to revise and explore new concepts relating to 2D and 3D shape as a class, using nets and drawings to create products to sell for our topic.
In their Numeracy groups, P5/6 will continue to develop their knowledge and understanding of whole number, decimal numbers and money.

I now know the difference between a quadrilateral and a polygon (Chloe)

I now know what  sides, edges and vertices are (Charlotte)

I know what a nonagon and decagon are (Imogen)