Primary 3 Learning Leaflet
Information for Parents
Primary 3 will continue to focus on addition, subtraction and multiplication this term through a variety of activities as part of their numeracy learning. The children will also be further introduced to the concept of estimating and rounding and chance and uncertainty. Additionally, Primary 3 will also undertake a unit of learning focused on Data Analysis. The children will be learning the variety of ways in which information can be gathered and presented through tally charts, Carroll diagrams, pictograms and bar graphs.
The class will also be exploring the topic of money through transferring their core numeracy learning of addition and subtraction. They will be developing skills in coin and note recognition, calculating correct amounts and giving and receiving the correct change.
Primary 3 will be continuing to revise and consolidate the 2, 5 and 10 times tables and further develop their learning of the 3 and 4 and 6 times table. The class will be working on a range of CLIC mental activities daily to develop their mental maths strategies.
Writing – The class will be focusing on imaginative writing this term linked to the stimulus of our IDL novel study ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’. The children will continue to develop their skills in using VCOP to up level their writing and use as well as extend their knowledge of peer and self-assessment to create personal next steps. The children will also be focusing on instructional writing, science report writing and posters.
Reading – This term Primary 3 will be focusing on developing skills in prediction through their weekly reading books and the class novel study. The class will continue to develop their skills in evaluating and analysing a text using their knowledge of character, vocabulary and structure. The children will continue to develop their questioning skills through the use of Blooms cards as well as develop expression and fluency.
Talking and Listening: Primary 3 will be further developing their skills in debating this term as part of their Talking and Listening. The class will learn about the importance of valuing their peers opinions and how to use the language of debate. The children will take part in weekly debates on chosen topics. The children will also take part in a variety of presenting activities through their IDL learning.
Health and Wellbeing
Primary 3 will be working on tennis this term in PE. The class will be developing a range of coordination and ball skills as well as knowledge related to the rules of the game.
Primary 3 have chosen to focus on a cross-curricular book study as their IDL topic term. The children gathered suggestions and as a class we have decided to focus on Roald Dahl’s ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’. This topic lends itself to a variety of areas of the curriculum and we are very excited to get started.
Some of the areas will be focusing on include:
- A range of imaginative writing linked to the book.
- Development of reading strategies including evaluating, summarising, predicting, character analysis and metalinguistics.
- The history of chocolate.
- The life-cycle of the cocoa bean
- Chocolate production with a focus on Fairtrade.
- Comparing and analysing food packaging and advertisement.
- Alternative and healthy food choices.
- Role play and drama activities using our knowledge of the characters (including the umpa-lumpa dance!)
- Investigation of solids and liquids through a range of active science investigations.
- Inventing our own chocolate bar recipes and designing packaging and advertisement.
- Designing our own room in the Chocolate factory.
Homework will be handed out to the class on Mondays and is due on a Friday.
- The children need to bring P.E kits on Mondays and Fridays.
- The children will be issued with a new reading book on a Monday each week.